Friday 30 April 2010

Response: Hooliganism

In Claire's Blog about football hooliganism, she talks about the Hillsborough Disaster which happened on 15th April 1989. The match was an FA Cup semi final between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest. I only ever heard about this disaster last year when I was watching the news and they were doing a special memorial report about it. When I watched it, it saddened me because it was such an awful disaster and people died because of it. After reading Claire's blog about it, it gave me the same feeling. Also, the video that she has put on explains it all and even shows you it happening. I'm a Nottingham Forest fan and so is the rest of my family - I think my dad was at that actual match.
This event puts in perspective the effects of football and how bad it can get. People obviously treat the sport as if it is a member of their family. I recently watched a film about football hooliganism which is called Green Street. This shows the extents that football fans will go to, which means arranging fights and possibly killing someone just because of the football team rivalry. As Claire says, each team has their own notorious group of fans.
Nottingham Forest and Derby County are big rivals, just like many other teams that Claire mentions. It's pretty surreal how football has this massive effect on football fans making them hate each other. After all, it's just a sport....

No comments:

Post a Comment